Taking steps to properly secure your garage door is extremely important since, in the majority of cases, garage doors are the most vulnerable area of modern homes. Additionally, most homeowners keep expensive tools and other home belongings in their garages, which means that they are of interest to burglars.
Fortunately, there are more than a few precautionary measures you can take to secure your garage door. From learning how to properly lock your garage door when there’s no power to scheduling prompt garage door repair in La Mesa if your door breaks down, knowing what to do in a given situation is the first step in securing your garage door and home.
How do you secure a garage door from the inside?
Whether you’re preparing to travel abroad or simply want to boost your home’s security levels, securing your garage door is a great place to start. Here’s what you can do to secure it from the inside of your garage:
- Eliminate the risk of someone opening your garage door using the release lever by placing a zip tie on the emergency release latch. This way, you’ll lock the door in place and prevent intruders from opening it.
- If you’re planning to go away for a while, you should unplug the garage door opener. This will prevent possible intruders to get the remote signal and break into your home.
- Secure the door by getting a side lock and using it on the vertical track. You may need to install a side lock using bolts and a drill.
Additional tips for securing a garage door
Here are a few other guidelines for improving your garage door security:
- Install motion detector lights to deter burglars. Doing this both inside and outside the garage can be highly effective in preventing a burglary.
- Set up a home security system. Don’t forget to include your garage in your general home security plan. Make sure to have an alarm in the garage, too.
- Be careful where you leave your remote. Instead of leaving your opener remote in the car, consider getting a smart remote or keychain opener remote that you can always keep close.
- Make sure that your garage door is closed. It’s easy to forget to close the garage door, especially if you’re carrying bags of groceries after work. To avoid this, you can get a garage door monitor and keep an eye on your door.
Can a smartphone open a garage door?
Owing to technological advancements, it is now possible to automate certain operations around your house such as controlling your garage door. Some brands and companies now allow you to install a receiver on your garage door opener. This receiver is then connected to your smartphone via an app, allowing you to open or close your garage door remotely.
Of course, you can also find smart garage door openers with an integrated WiFi system and a dedicated app. It’s always best to discuss your options with your preferred provider. Jjust make sure that your automatic garage door opener is compliant with safety regulations applicable to your specific area.
Can a WiFi garage door opener be hacked?
However, one of the concerns homeowners have regarding smart openers is the level of security. More specifically, a great number of homeowners are worried that WiFi openers can be easily hacked.
Unfortunately, garage door openers that use a WiFi network can be hacked unless you secure them properly. Even older models that employ a fixed code to operate are vulnerable to hacking. This is possible because hackers typically use devices called “code grabbers” to interrupt and record the signal.
So, the safest option is to consult with your garage door provider or experts in smart technology to properly secure your garage door against hacking.
Contact trusted garage door repair experts in La Mesa
Here at Dlouhy Garage Doors of San Diego, we offer high-quality services and proven advice on garage door repair, maintenance, and servicing. Our team can handle an array of related matters, from advising you on the best type of garage door to handling a door that’s come off the track.
Furthermore, we always strive to render time-efficient and convenient services so that you can continue with your daily routine. Once we’re done, you can take your family to Northmont Park and relax knowing that your garage door is secure. We’re at your disposal!