There’s no reason to panic once your garage door opener breaks. However, this doesn’t mean you should leave the problem unaddressed. It prevents you from opening and closing your unit efficiently while exposing the contents to burglars.
But how exactly do you handle the issue? Should you hire a reliable garage door repair contractor in El Cajon, CA, or have the opener replaced? The biggest factor influencing your decision is the cost of both jobs, and this article will tell you which one is cheaper. Read on!
Is it cheaper to repair or replace a garage door opener?
Unfortunately, many things can cause your opener to break, such as worn springs and snapped cables. Regardless of the cause, you need to recognize that it’s broken so that you know how to return the unit to its previous condition or have it replaced. But which method is more cost-effective?
The answer depends on many things, such as the condition of your garage door opener and the cause of the problem. Is the gear damaged? Is the belt or chain broken? Is the rail twisted or disconnected?
Repairing most of these issues is usually cheaper than replacing the whole unit.
Another detail you should consider is the age of your opener. If it’s 10 or more years old, you’re probably better off replacing the component. Fixing it is typically a temporary solution – the opener will keep breaking due to its age.
Ultimately, the easiest way to determine whether you need to replace or repair your opener is to hire a professional. They’ll tell you all the necessary information, including the cost.
How much does it cost to repair a garage door opener?
The cost of repairing a garage door opener can vary drastically. There are several factors in play:
Type of opener
When determining the cost of fixing your opener, the main thing you should consider is the type. Some types are more expensive than others, meaning you’ll need to cough up more money. Here are the most popular kinds, from the cheapest to the priciest one:
- Chain-drive: This is the most affordable garage door opener type. It features an ergonomic chain that connects the trolley and motor. This means the product is loud and clunky, but it’s highly affordable.
- Belt-drive: Repairing belt-drive openers typically costs more than fixing chain-drive units. They come with a rubber belt that promotes quieter operation, enhancing your comfort.
- Screw-drive: This type of opener boasts a trolley and a motor that rotates a built-in steel rod. This makes it extremely loud, potentially disturbing your neighborhood. However, these units are appealing because they consist of a few components, making maintenance and cleaning relatively easy.
- Direct-drive: Direct-drive openers are perfect for people who like silent units. They feature a chain integrated into a durable steel rail for durability and reliability. In addition, they usually come with lifetime warranties, making the repairs relatively pricey.
- Jackshaft-drive: This opener utilizes a high-end 24V motor that drives pulleys and cables in the system. It features ergonomic construction to fit oversized doors. This type is the most expensive unit to install and repair.
Condition of the opener remote
Besides the opener itself, you might have trouble running the remote. This is especially true if you don’t replace the batteries regularly. While remotes aren’t a huge investment, they do raise the total cost of the repair.
State of the wiring
Your garage door opener wiring may also need some attention and lead to higher expenses. Repairing it on your own isn’t an option, so make sure to hire an expert.
Need a first-rate garage door job? Book the unrivaled garage door repair team in El Cajon, CA!
Figuring out the cost of fixing a garage door opener in your El Cajon home may be challenging. Repairing the product is even more complex. This is why it’s best to leave the work to professionals.
Dlouhy Doors offers a quick response time, a customer-oriented approach, and vast knowledge. We can help you save money by repairing your opener promptly before the damage escalates.
Hire our first-class technicians and enjoy the scenery of Eucalyptus Hills, knowing your garage door is in great hands!