Whether your garage door springs haven’t been properly set up or they’ve undergone normal wear and tear, it’s important to arrange for a garage door spring replacement once they break.
“But, what can I do before booking garage door spring repair near me?” You can prepare for this inconvenience by learning more about why these springs typically break or how you can replace your garage door springs. In addition, it’s helpful to know what to do when this problem occurs since a garage door that doesn’t function properly is a major safety hazard.
What happens if a garage door spring breaks?
Since garage door springs are in charge of lifting your garage door and keeping them balanced, any issue with these components can prevent you from opening or closing the door properly.
Once they snap, garage door springs typically make a fairly loud sound and can result in your door slamming down. You may not be able to open your door since your garage door opener cannot lift it on its own. It’s essential that you have both a garage door opener and springs that function properly.
If you’re uncertain whether your garage door springs have snapped, you should check them for the following signs:
- Jerky garage door movements. If you have a two-spring system and one of the springs breaks down, your garage door won’t be able to open smoothly.
- The bent garage door at the top. If you try to open your garage door without springs, you’ll notice how they bend at the top due to their weight.
- Gaps in the torsion springs. If your torsion springs are broken, you’ll notice a gap in the middle.
- The emergency rope cannot open the door. This is another common sign that your garage door springs are most likely broken.
How do I lift my garage door with a broken spring?
Opening a garage door that has broken springs needs to be done carefully, especially if your door is really heavy. However, keep in mind that you shouldn’t open or close the door if you have an automatic garage door opener.
If you have to open your garage door and you know the springs are broken, it’s better to contact qualified professionals to handle this. Nonetheless, if you need to do it yourself, you should ask a friend or family member to help you and then follow these steps:
- Step 1: Place two ladders at both garage door sides.
- Step 2: Use two pry bars and place them between the floor and the door. Then, grab the door at both sides by pulling on the bars.
- Step 3: Slowly lift the door and make sure to keep it balanced, clamping vice grips under both sides.
- Step 4: Place the ladders under each side of the garage door and then remove the vice grips, lowering the door onto the ladders.
Who are the best garage door spring repair experts near me in San Diego?
There’s only one answer – Dlouhy Garage Doors of San Diego! We’re the leading industry professionals with comprehensive knowledge of garage door mechanisms. Our team renders stellar spring repair and replacement services that can fix any problem with your garage door.
With us, you get nothing but high-quality products and garage door-related services that meet the highest industry standards. We’ve handpicked our technicians, selecting only experienced, trained, licensed, and polite individuals. You can also rely on them to provide you with immediate assistance in case of any garage door emergencies.
To top it all of, we’re highly dedicated to rendering unrivaled service that will not only fix your garage door problems but also ensure they don’t disrupt your everyday life. We’re ready to get down to business anytime, focusing on the task at hand. Once we’re done, you can relax in Torrey Pines State Reserve completely worry-free. Schedule an appointment today!