Keeping your garage door in excellent condition will not only enhance the appeal of your home, but also ensure your and your family’s safety. As an essential component of garage doors, springs play a crucial role in ensuring their optimal functioning. So, you always need to keep your eyes open for possible malfunctions and book reliable garage door springs repair in San Diego if you notice a problem.
In addition, learning more about the durability of garage door springs and some of the most common problems can help you prepare for some possible issues in advance. This will give you time to arrange for a garage door spring replacement when needed.
How long do garage door springs last?
Garage door springs enable you to open and close your garage door. Thanks to this simple component, both you and the opener can easily lift the door. There are two main types of garage door springs – torsion and extension springs.
When it comes to their durability, both extension and torsion springs are expected to last from seven to nine years. Of course, this can vary depending on how often you open and close your garage door. Since homeowners use their garage doors more frequently nowadays, the springs can even last from four to six years.
What’s more, several additional factors can affect the durability of your garage door springs, including:
- Quality: If your garage door springs are of poor quality, they can last significantly less. So, it’s always better to choose high-quality elements, especially for your garage door since it can be a safety hazard.
- Installation. It goes without saying that your garage springs can break more easily and within a year if they haven’t been installed properly. Make sure to hire experienced pros to set up your new springs.
- Inadequacy. Your springs may not be appropriate for your garage door. For instance, the door may be too heavy for the springs, causing them to fail sooner.
A helpful tip: To maximize the durability of your garage door springs, you should hire experienced and licensed professionals to set them up. They can also suggest first-rate solutions that can last for years. Keep in mind that spending a bit more initially can go a long way in extending their longevity.
Why do springs break on garage doors?
You may reduce the frequency of garage door springs breaking if you invest in high-quality products. However, you still may come home one day only to find your garage door not working. Thus, it’s important to know what some common issues are and what to do if the garage door springs break.
So, what may cause your garage door springs to break? Here are some of the most common reasons:
- Poor and irregular maintenance: If you never inspect your garage door springs and fail to maintain them properly, they’re more likely to break down. One of the most essential steps in ensuring their durability is lubricating the coil at least three times a year. You can also schedule professional maintenance every once in a while.
- Rust: Rust build-ups are another common cause of garage door springs failing. Rust can weaken the coil by causing friction. Regular lubrication will prevent this from happening.
- Wear and tear: Sometimes, garage door springs can break due to normal wear and tear. This is the most common problem because most homeowners open and close their garage doors multiple times a day.
- Inadequate springs: If the wire size and spring length aren’t appropriate for the garage door, the springs can break much sooner than expected. If you have a large, heavy garage door, you should divide the weight between two springs rather than a single one across the whole door.
The foremost garage door springs repair experts in San Diego at your disposal
If you need to replace your garage door springs or have someone inspect them, you should look no further than Dlouhy Doors. We’re the leading experts in San Diego, offering our clients unrivaled repair services and top-of-the-line products.
Our technicians are highly experienced and qualified, staying up to date with all the garage door safety regulations. Furthermore, we’ll always try to be as efficient as possible so you can go back to your everyday life and relax in Balboa Park rather than stress about garage door springs. Schedule an appointment today!